Lending a Hand to a Patient in Need Can Be a Rewarding Experience, and We Can Help.
The caregiver’s job carries serious responsibilities. At the same time, you will also earn the satisfaction of knowing that you have been of service to someone in a time of need.
As a caregiver, you will be entrusted with helping a patient to obtain and sometimes, to administer, medical marijuana. We commend you for your kindness and generosity. Thank you! Now let’s get started with the application process.
The Caregiver’s Application Process
Your first step toward becoming a caregiver starts with filling out a form. To help keep track of the process, we have provided the following checklist. There are many steps involved for both the patient and caregiver, and it’s easy to get confused. Therefore it might be helpful for you to assist your designated patient in the process, and we suggest you print hard copies for easy reference.
As you will see, caregivers must follow most of the same application procedures as a medical cannabis patient:
- A caregiver must be an Illinois resident.
- At least 21 years old
- Serve only one patient
- Fill out the Caregiver Application Form completely and accurately. Incomplete or improper forms can delay the patient’s application process.
- Remember: The patient must sign at the bottom of page 1
- Your signature line is at the bottom of page 2
- Your application will be complete only after you have included ALL of following:
- A 2” x 2” photo of yourself
- You can have the photo taken by a passport photo service, OR
- You can have a friend take the photo, but use a plain white background, look straight into the camera and make sure your entire face shows in the photo
- Do not use a “selfie”
- At least two forms of ID indicating you are an Illinois resident
- Acceptable ID forms include utility bills, bank statements, driver’s license and state ID (Check the Patient Application Form found on page 4 for a full list of acceptable ID forms)
- The addresses on each ID document must match the address on your application
- Do not send original ID documents – send only copies
- Proof of your age and address
- Use a copy of a current and valid government-issued ID, such as a driver’s license
- Your fingerprints will be used to confirm your identity and to conduct a criminal background check.
- Use a service registered with the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (Fees for this service vary; we suggest comparing the pricing information among the agencies listed on this site)
- Complete the Fingerprint Consent Form found on page 3 and include the Transaction Control Number
- Include the caregiver application fee
- The standard caregiver fee is $75
- All fees are non-refundable
- Check and double-check all your information and support documentation before placing your complete Caregiver Application—and all of its related documentation—with the Patient Application form.
If you have questions about your application, please contact: DPH Division of Medical Cannabis, 855-636-3688 or DPH.MedicalCannabis@Illinois.gov
Congratulations! You have completed the Caregiver form.